Wednesday 7 May 2008

Kildonan, Isle of Arran


It might sound selfish, but I was disappointed to find that the access to this beautiful beach has been improved by the removal of a gate and the creation of a gravelled footpath (with benches). When I arrived it was full of people: more crowded than I have ever seen it. As a child I used to come here often on family holidays and you could sit on the beach for hours with very few people walking past. Today I got kinda annoyed as the wildlife (especially the seals) were being constantly disturbed and dogs were running about everywhere (typically, I had one jumping on me the very instant I opened my lunchbox).
These people never visited the beach when they had to make the effort to walk 5 minutes along the rocky beach or climb over one fence! People should be prepared to put a little effort into viewing wildlife. I'm worried that Kildonan's seal colony will become another crowded, dog-shit covered, litter-strewn, cheap tourist attraction. Reminds me of my disheartening visit to Dunvegan in Skye... :(

Anyway, sorry about the rant...

On the upper shore there were profuse clumps of white Brassica-type flowers which were attracting lots of Orange-tips (Anthocharis cardamines) and Green-veined Whites (Pieris napi). I didn't have the pleasure of taking many photos due to being constantly harassed by people wanting to know if they were rare butterflies and asking me if I was aware that I'd left my rucksack 2 metres behind me *SIGH*

Green-veined White (Pieris napi thomsoni)


Likewise I was unable to take good pictures of the basking Common Seals as there was already a group of people taking pictures.

Common Seal (Phoca vitulina)
Common Seal (Phoca vitulina)


Frustrated, I took a walk along the shore to the path which leads up to Levencorroch. Flowering plants included Red Campion (Silene dioica), Bluebells (Hyacinthoides non-scripta) and Common Milkwort (Polygala vulgaris).

Once I reached Levencorroch I wandered along the main road towards East Bennan where I saw a Brown Hare (Lepus europaeus) galloping across one of the fields. Rows of Swallows (Hirundo rustica) were perched on the telephone lines and a few Hooded Crows (Corvus cornix) were marching about the sheep-cropped fields.

Hooded Crow (Corvus cornix)

The Hooded Crow was long considered a subspecies of the Carrion Crow (Corvus corone) and has only recently been granted species status. It replaces the Carrion Crow over most of Ireland and Northern and Western Scotland.

No comments:

Post a Comment