Friday 6 July 2007

Tay Reedbeds, Perth


Today I visited the Tay reedbeds on the east coast (near Errol), hoping to see a Marsh Harrier.

Unfortunately, it rained heavily throughout the day and I was scarcely able to see through my glasses or use my camera.

On the banks of the river Tay, there were Great Crested Grebes (Podiceps cristatus) and Little Grebes (Tachybaptus ruficollis), both with almost full-grown young (still sporting the juvenile striped plumage).

At the edge of the reedbeds Musk Mallow (Malva moschata), Hedge Woundwort (Stachys sylvatica), Great Mullein (Verbascum thapsus) and Agrimony (Agrimonia eupatoria) were in flower.

Great Mullein (Verbascum thapsus)

Later, I heard furious squeaking and discovered a pair of Common Shrews (Sorex araneus) fighting on the path.

I had to watch my feet as the ground was swarming with tiny toadlets (Bufo bufo).


No comments:

Post a Comment